Saturday, September 12, 2009

Testimony of ex YASINDO - Ev. Djomin Hu


He changed the path of my life.
 
 
Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus. Phil 3:13-14
 
When I started writing this testimony, I did not realize that I have been serving the Lord for 9 years. I came from a non-Christian family. I was addicted to drug since my last year of secondary school. In 1997, my mother fell really sick. I prayed to God that she would be healed, but four days later, she passed away. I was devastated. I protested to God, even to the point of not believing that He is there. From then onwards, my life took a downward spiral, I boasted in those evil things I have done.

On 23 March 98, I was captured in Kaitak International Airport in HK together with 2 of my friends. I was deported back to Indonesia and was locked in one of the prison, whereas 2 of my friends are taken into HK prison and up till now they are still yet to be released. 

In the prison, I started to know about Jesus through the ministry of Yasindo, Bpk Toni Taniara. But I was not full hearted yet because I was still addicted to drugs. In March 2000, I was released. After my release, I went back to my old ways of doing things. One night, my friends and I went to a night club. On our way there, we were stopped by police as they conducted a raid. We were asked to come out from the car and we were checked one by one. I was afraid because then in my pants pocket I carried 1 gram of ‘shabu-shabu’ (a low grade heroin) and heroin. The police asked me to empty all the things from my pocket and wallet. When I took out the drugs from my pocket, I was prepared for the worst. However, the police overlooked the drugs on my hand and we were asked to go. My friends cheered that I have great power to make the drugs went unnoticed by the police. When we reached the night club, suddenly I was stopped by a voice that said: “If you did not stop what you are doing, you will be dead”. Not just once, but repeatedly. In the end, I left my friends there and called a cab to go round the city. But still the voice did not cease. I can still hear it until I got scared. I shouted with all my might:”if that is you who speak Lord, speak again one more time!” and then, I heard God saying: “I love you”. This time, I started crying. It dawned on me that all these while it has been God who is working behind the scene, giving me favor in my trials. 

While my friends were in HK prison and sentenced for 14 years, in His grace, God brought me back to Jakarta and I was sentenced only for 3 years and 9 months. Even then, God in His mercy reduced the sentence to 2 years and I was granted a conditional release. It was not because of my family and friends, but it was God who give favor to my life.

I started to make commitments with God. If He delivered me from my addiction to drugs, I will give my all to Jesus and serve Him with all my life. Praise God, from August 2000 until now and forever, I never touch drug again. God has delivered me from my addiction to drug, alcohol and cigarette! Hallelujah! 

During my early walk with God, I was sent by Yasindo to STT Life News - Solo. But on my third month, I was dismissed from school as I fought with fellow students. After that Bpk Toni sent me to Ketileng Bible Training Centre (KBTC) in Semarang. There, I experienced my new birth. I realized that living holy to God is more than just not using drugs, but it’s leaving the old man behind. There I learned the bible, I learned how to humble myself before God, and living a total surrendered life to God. After 6months in KBTC, I was sent to west Kalimantan for my attachment ministry. I was asked to sign a document stating that: If accidents or death happen to me, the school will not be liable.” At first, my family objected, but in the end, they acceded because they saw I was determined to go. My principle said its better for me to die for Christ while I am ministering rather than dead because of drugs.

In West Kalimantan, I practice in the middle of a jungle. No one ever wanted to serve there. I heard that the people living in that jungle like to poison and put curses on people. They believe in animism, a belief that natural objects, natural phenomena, and the universe itself possess souls. They liked to worship trees, stones and human skulls. Every family owned 1 to 2 human skulls for worships. There was no electricity and toilet. I have to take shower in a river filled with crocodiles and pass motion either on river or scrubs. There is no place to sleep, no canteen. I have to find food in the jungle or river. I experienced several attacks from evil powers.

I started my ministry with children. With only guitar on my hand, I taught them how to sing. Slowly but surely, many children were interested and joined. I started my own Sunday school. Then my life got better, they made me a place to live. I taught them the word of God and taught them how to read and write. Praise God after 3 months, the parents of these children started to join. From what started as a Sunday school, it grew to a full service. Every day there is new soul being born again. At the end 90% of the village population received Jesus, including the head of the village and the ‘spiritual’ leader.

God works in amazing way! One year later, God provided us with a place for service that is big enough for 100 people! After 1 year and 8 months serving in this Sebaro village, I continued my study in STII Jogjakarta. In this city, I served in Bethesda church and opened a Bible Post in Wonogiri. During my ministry and study, all my material needs were being taken care of by Yasindo. I graduated in June 2005 and received my Bachelor in Theology degree.

In Dec 2006, my wife and I went to Aceh according to the vision that God has given me. Even though there were a lot of trials and difficulties, I never once give up because of my faith in God. I believe that God who has sent me to this place will be with me to deliver and help me from any problems I will face.

Until now, I have been ministering in Aceh for 2 years. Many things have happened for the past 2 years. Many prayers filled with tears have been sowed. We commit all our thoughts, concentration, time and energy for the things to be done in this place. But it reaps inexpressible joy shown from our lives. The joy that heals all our pain and what we have gone through, especially when we started to see the fruits of the spirit. 

This is my testimony; I pray that it will become a blessing to many. God bless you!

No comments:

Post a Comment